My lovely sister allowed me to paint my one-stroke dragon on her over the holiday. I wanted to share this picture tutorial so that you can follow along and make mystical dragons everywhere ('cause everything is better with dragons).
MATERIALS: I used two arty cakes from Sillyfarm.com. You can use any split cake colors you like. I used two brushes for the one-stroke work: a 3/4 inch and a 1/2 inch flat brush. The only additional materials I used are WolfeFX white and black and a #4 round brush to outline.
My mom was watching me paint, so I even got a set of images of me painting!
STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL:
- Using the 3/4 brush and the primary split cake, make the head shape, like a big sideways U. Create small tapered strokes to make horns.
- Make the body in one long S shape. Make the shape follow the body and allow room for wings and a tail. Two larger tapered strokes make a tail.
- Using the 1/2 inch brush and the secondary split cake, add arms and legs. Use quick flicks with the skinny edge of the brush to make claws. You'll be outlining them later, so don't get to caught up on making them perfect.
- With the secondary cake and 1/2 inch brush, create a crown by wiggling the brush back and forth. Make small even strokes along the belly to create the look of layered scales. Don't go over your legs!
- With the 3/4 brush and primary split cake, create the top edge of your wings first, then make overlapping C shapes. Make sure to separate your wings and make the back one a little darker.
- Using the WolfeFX black and a #4 round start outlining your work. Start with the head and move left to right, so you don't smear your work (if you're a right hander).
- Outline the claws and make them a little longer and sharper than your one-stroke.
- Outline the wings and tail in black and create the look of scales. Add swirl details to the ends of the wings and tail.
- Add white details and highlights including: teeth, eye sparkle, scales, and shine crosses.
Happy painting! <3 Painted Mistress
View more posts from Painted Mistress here
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.
About the Author: Painted Mistress
I'm a rainbow haired, walking kaleidoscope of color, glitter, and awesome.... READ MORE>>