One of the hottest hues this spring is of course, mermaid blue! Incorporating this shade into a wearable look can sometimes be tricky, you want an on trend style not office lady horror story! So, I've created this palette that works for both day and evening events without looking too gaudy! This look is not too overdone for work, yet, fun enough for anything you've got going on after dark.
YOU WILL NEED:
Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Haight/Mermaid Blue (about $19.00)
Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Oil Slick/Shimmering Black (about $19.00)
Kat Von D Liquid Eyeliner in Trooper/Black (about $19.00)
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara in Black (about $23.00)
Nars Blush in Oasis/Shimmering Pink (about $30.00)
Too Faced Cocoa Contour Palette (about $40.00)
Meet Matte Hughes Liquid Lipstick in Committed (about $19.00)
STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL:
- After applying your favorite primer and liquid foundation, apply a shimmering, grayish black eyeshadow in the crease. Blend outwards. Apply a bit of this shade to the outer, lower lashline as well. Blend well. I used Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Oil Slick/Shimmering Black.
- This is this look's signature shade! Apply a bright, eye catching tealish blue shade, also known as the infamous "mermaid blue" hue that has caught fire this season, to the inner eyes and in the middle of the upper eyes. Also apply this shade along the bottom lashline, inner and middle, but leave your black toned shade visible on the outer corners. I used Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Haight/Mermaid Blue because it was the perfect shade of blue! Blend your blue and black shades together where the meet in the corners until you get a flawlessly blended look. I use a soft, small, rounded brush to do this.
- Line your upper eyes with a clean, black liner in a soft, yet sweeping cat eye. I used Kat Von D's liquid black liner in Trooper.
- Apply two coats of a lengthening and voluminous black mascara to the upper lashes. Leave your bottom lashes clean. I used Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara in Black.
- Contour your face with a soft, made nude/brown shade about 2 shades darker than your foundation shade. Highlight your face with a matte, soft light shade 2 shades lighter than your foundation. I made things easy, and used the Too Faced "Cocoa Contour" Kit. I used the "light" kit, since my skin shade is fairly pale. The kit also comes in a medium/dark kit if that choice better suits your skintone. I chiseled my face softly by placing the bronze-like shade along the sides of my nose and in the hollows of my cheeks, then blending. I placed the highlight shade on top of the apples of my cheeks and under my brow arch for definition.
- Buff a soft, lightly shimmering or matte neutral pink blush into the apples of the cheeks. I used Nars Blush in "Oasis."
- Lastly, apply a matte liquid lipstick in a soft, nude shade. I used The Balm's Meet Matte Hughe's Liquid Lipstick in "Committed," which I adore because it isn't drying! You're done!
View more posts from Krista here>>
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.